Crispy Spinach Pakoras
Spinach pakoras are delicious as a snack. Crispy Spinach pakoras can be served in many different ways and they always taste great.
The recipe makes about 30 pieces
Crispy Spinach pakoras ingredients
- ½ cup gram flour (basen)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch (arrow root powder)
- ½ teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- About 3/4 cup water
- About 30 fresh spinach leaves
- Oil to fry
- Mix all the dry ingredients together: besan, corn starch, black pepper, cumin seeds, asafetida, and salt. Corn starch adds to the crispness.
- Add the water slowly to make a smooth batter (batter should be thin consistency).
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat.
- The frying pan should have at least 1 ½ inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put one drop of batter in the oil. The batter should come up but not change color right away.
- Dip the spinach leaf into the batter one at a time, making sure it is covered by the batter completely; wipe it from the side of the batter bowl making sure the batter is evenly spread over spinach. Then, slowly drop in the slices into the frying pan.
- Fry the pakoras in small batches. The pakoras will take about 2 to 3 minutes to cook.
- Turn them occasionally. Fry the pakoras until both sides are golden brown.
- The crispy, delicious pakoras are now ready to serve.
- They can be stored for several days in airtight container.
If the oil is too hot pakoras will not be crispy; if the oil is not hot enough, pakoras will be greasy.
- Spinach pakoras can be served as chips with your choice of dipping sauce
- Spinach crisp can also be served as papdi chaat.