Guinea pig adoption near me
Guinea pig adoption near me
Guinea pigs are small Pets. These rodents owe their origin to the genus of pigs. It is worth noting that they have nothing to do with farm pigs. The natural habitat is considered to be the South American continent. Today, they are very popular among animal lovers, due to their calm disposition and complete lack of aggression to humans.
Guinea pigs are known to live in the wild in South America. In this regard, a huge contribution to the domestication of these animals was made by the tribes living in this area. This happened several thousand years ago, around the fifth millennium BC. Modern inhabitants of the Northern part of South America added these animals to their food.
For some time these mammals were considered sacrificial animals. The Inca people sacrificed Guinea pigs to the Sun God. South American tribes had a special love for rodents, which had a white or brown coat color.
In the modern world, breeders have bred a very large number of new breeds. They number about six thousand varieties of Guinea pigs. These little animals are descended from Cavia aperea Tschudi. The animal lives on the modern territory of Chile.
The ancestor of Guinea pigs externally has significant differences from the usual for us Pets. This is due to the peculiarities of the natural habitat. Animals have access to a cellulose-rich food base, but the region is very poor on water.
These animals live in small colonies. They choose rather spacious burrows under the ground as their dwelling place.
Guinea pigs come from a family of semi-experimental rodents. They have the appropriate appearance and body structure.
* Rodent body shape resembles a small cylinder. In length, it can reach 22 centimeters. Sometimes there are representatives of larger sizes.
* The spine of pigs has a complex structure and consists of cervical, lumbar, sacral, thoracic and tail vertebrae.
* The clavicle in these animals is completely absent, the same applies to the tail.
* Boys are much larger than the female half of the animals. An adult Guinea pig weighs an average of 1.2 kilograms.
* The limbs of Guinea pigs the small size. The hind legs are longer than the front ones.
* Animals have three fingers on their hind legs and four on their forelegs. They look like small hooves.
* In a week, the animal’s hair can grow by half a centimeter.
* The shape of the head is very large. It has a high degree of brain activity.
* Teeth of animals grow continuously throughout life. In a week, the incisors can grow by 1.5 millimeters. These mammals have very powerful teeth, so the animals can easily chew root crops and plant stems.
* The process of digestion takes quite a long time. This is due to the large length of the organ.
* Guinea pigs can be found with both a long coat and a short coat. The color of the cover is not limited to one color and can be varied.
* In the wild, the maximum age of animals does not exceed seven years. At home, it is determined by the proper care and maintenance of the pet. The life span of a domesticated rodent can reach fifteen years.
Wild Guinea pigs are energetic animals, their activity they tend to be in the morning time of the day or in the evening after sunset. It is almost impossible to catch these animals by surprise. They are restless and nimble. Live Guinea pigs in mountain areas. They can also be found in forest areas.
If the animals do not find large and deep burrows, they equip their homes in the form of a nest. The place is chosen as quiet and secluded. Rodents strengthen their homes by using thin twigs of plants and dry grass.
Guinea pigs do not tolerate loneliness, so they unite in colonies and live on the same perimeter. The number of females in a pack is usually several times greater than the number of males. Pets mostly live in large cages. They need a lot of space for walking. Guinea pigs sleep several times a day. In some cases, the animal can rest with his eyes open.
Guinea pigs perfectly tolerate high and low temperatures, as well as their fluctuations. Immature rodents may not survive the onset of cold weather.
Animals can also swim. It will not be difficult for them to cross a small body of water. Also, the animals normally tolerate high humidity, they are not afraid of rain. Some representatives of Guinea pigs equip their homes near the reservoir. Their food can be algae and other plants that grow in the water.
Interesting fact: Guinea pigs are not only considered Pets, but they are also widely used in research activities.
The content in the home
Immediately after the acquisition of a Guinea pig, the pet goes through the process of adaptation to new conditions. So do not be surprised if at first, the animal will behave very quietly and calmly. Rodents at this time are afraid of any rustle and almost do not move. Also, at the initial stage of adaptation, Pets eat very poorly.
Speed up the process of getting used to help the owners of the animal, creating a comfortable environment for him to live.
What does a guinea pig eat
The animal must eat well, guinea pig feeding must have consisted of four meals. One serving is 2 tablespoons. At first, guinea pig not eating everything is normal. But this does not mean that the volume of the portion should be reduced. The satiety of these animals is the key to excellent health.
Guinea pigs feed on hay, and in summer — fresh grass. During pregnancy, the female and feeding offspring feeding is carried out no more than twice a day. Parsley in this period is contraindicated. In water intended for Pets, it is recommended to add vitamin C, if the feed does not contain this component in its composition.
Products that should be in the pet’s diet:
- sweet pepper;
Cabbage is best given to animals in limited quantities. You can add dried rose hips to the food. As additives, you can also use the leaves of herbal plants. In the food of the animal, you can also add table salt in small quantities (up to 2 grams).
Grain crops in their pure form are strongly not recommended to give to pigs, as this can have a bad effect on health, and subsequently lead to obesity of the pet. It is necessary to mix them with vegetables or herbs.
You can not saturate the diet of animal products from the human table.
Cage and accessories
One Guinea pig can be placed in a small cage, in length, it must be at least one meter. It is desirable that its rods were painted. It is also necessary to take care of the presence of a small door for the animal. If possible, it is recommended to keep the animal in an enclosure, then it will be able to carry out a walk around the perimeter.
Animals are not able to move in height, so multi-tiered cells in their structure are not suitable for keeping a Guinea pig. In the cage should be placed a drinking bowl for them with a volume of 0.25 liters and a container for food. It is recommended to purchase a pet carrier.
Games and training
These animals are easy to train if you deal with them every day. You can get used to the hands of a Guinea pig in a short period of time, these animals quickly get used to their owners.
It is best to train animals using various treats. Also, you need to play with animals, because Guinea pigs live in flocks and alone easily succumb to stress. Even one training session will be enough to tame. You can also create a guinea pig play area.
In order for the animal not to get sick, it is enough to adhere to the basic rules of keeping Pets. The most common guinea pig illnesses are related to the digestive system. Also, Guinea pigs can be exposed to colds.
Symptom of disease:
- unusual behavior;
- guinea pig blood in urine
- breathing problems;
- guinea pig not eating
- decline inactivity;
- guinea pig losing hair;
- formation of ulcers on the skin;
- liquid discharge from the nose;
- parasites in the wool.
At the initial stage of the disease, it is recommended to consult a veterinarian.
It is believed that Guinea pigs are not fastidious in care. The process will not take you much time and effort.
* Long-haired Guinea pigs should be combed at least once a week.
* You need to regularly inspect the body of the animal.
* Don’t forget to cut the nails of a Guinea pig. This is done very carefully, so as not to cause injury to the pet. You can cut them with a special nail cutter or nail tongs.
* It is recommended to ventilate the room where the pet is kept from time to time.
* Cleaning is done once every 4 days.
* If the wool is heavily soiled, it must be washed with shampoo.
* At least once a month, you should give your pet antihelminthic drugs.
Few people know that Guinea pigs were named so not because they like reservoirs or water procedures, but because in the old days they were brought to our region from distant sea voyages.
It is interesting to know that Guinea pigs have a unique language of sounds. Thus, the sounds, you can easily determine the mood of the animal.
* Prolonged beeping indicates that the pet is hungry.
* When pigs greet each other, they begin to grunt. It also means that animals study each other.
* If the pigs chatter their teeth or growl at each other, this indicates the irritation of the animals.
* Guinea pigs can even cackle. This behavior indicates a good mood for the pet. This also applies to coo.
* If you heard a prolonged squeal, it indicates that the animal is experiencing pleasure. In this case, the animal can whistle.