Ingredients for Spicy crackers :
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plain flour, maida)
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 2 tablespoons fine semolina flour (fine sooji)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/4 spoon salt, adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon carom seeds
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1/2 cup water or add as needed
- Oil to fry
- Mix flour, semolina (sooji), gram flour (besan), salt, carom seeds, asafetida, chili flakes, and oil, together.
- Add water as needed to make a firm but smooth dough. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside at least for ten minutes.
- Knead the dough for another minute and divide into four equal parts.
- Take each part of the dough and make a flat ball shape.
- Roll them thin into about 9-inch circles. Prick them with a fork all over the rolled dough, the Spicy crackers do not puff when frying.
- Cut each of the rolled dough into about half inch wide and 3 inch long pieces. Note: you can cut them in your desire shape.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- The frying pan should have at least 1 inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put a small piece of dough in the oil. The dough should make the oil sizzle and come up slowly.
- Make sure to place just enough Spicy crackers so you can turn them over easily when frying. Fry the Spicy crackers until both sides are light golden brown.
- After Spicy crackers come to room temperature they should become crisp.
Tips for Spicy crackers :
- Spicy crackers can be stored for one month in airtight containers.
- If the Spicy crackers are cooked on high heat, they will be soft.
Try replacing carom (ajwain) seed with dry fenugreek leaves.