Ingredients Tomato Rice:
- 1 cup rice
- 3 tomatoes chopped, will make 1-1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup raw shelled peanuts
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 teaspoons samber powder, available in Indian grocery store
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro (hara dhania) chopped
- 2 cups of water
Method Tomato Rice
- Wash and soak the rice in about 3 cups of water for at least 15 minutes. Drain the water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When moderately hot, add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds cracks add peanuts and stir fry for one minute until peanuts are lightly golden brown.
- Add about 1 cup chopped tomatoes, green chili, turmeric, sambar powder, salt and cilantro, cook until tomatoes are tender. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Add rice and 2 cups of water mix and bring it to boil, lower the heat to low and cover the pen. Let it cook for about 18-20 minutes. Cook until rice is soft and water has evaporated.
- Stir the rice gently and add the remaining tomatoes stir gently, cover the pan and let it cook for 2 more minutes.
- Serve rice by it self or with yogurt.